Immaculate Heart College Art Department Rules, by Corita Kent (C. 1967)
Sister Mary Corita was influential in the Pop Art movement thanks to her unique and bold screen printing and was good friends with such cultural luminaries as Alfred Hitchcock, Saul Bass, and John Cage. She also headed the art department at Immaculate Heart College. These were her rules.
- 1.Find a place you trust and then try trusting it for a while.
- 2.General duties of a student: pull everything out of your teacher. Pull everything out of your fellow students.
- 3.General duties of a teacher: pull everything out of your students.
- 4.Consider everything an experiment.
- 5.Be self disciplined. This means finding someone wise or smart and choosing to follow them. To be disciplined is to follow in a good way. To be a self disciplined is to follow in a better way.
- 6.Nothing is a mistake. There's no win and no fail. There's only make.
- 7.The only rule is work. If you work it will lead to something. It's the people who do all of the work all of the time who eventually catch on to things.
- 8.Don't try to create and analyze at the same time. They're different processes.
- 9.Be happy whenever you can manage it. Enjoy yourself. It's lighter than you think.
- 10."We're breaking all the rules. Even your own rules. And how do we do that? By leaving plenty of room for x quantities" - John Cage
- 11.HELPFUL HINTS:
- 12.Always be around.
- 13.Come and go to everything.
- 14.Always go to classes.
- 15.Read anything you can get your hands on.
- 16.Look at movies carefully, often.
- 17.Save everything - it might come in handy later.