100 YEARS OF LI.ST(1967)🕰
Written by Amalia Svensson on September 4, 1967. Amalia is a 67 year old woman living in Stockholm.
- •Dear friends who don't speak Swedish, the H I will be referring to stands for höger, the Swedish word for right.
- •So yesterday was H Day, we finally changed to right-hand traffic.There's been so much fuss about it lately, I'm glad it's over.
- •A man came to our house to tell us about it a while ago.They thought we were to old to watch tv or listen to the radio - how insulting!
- •I actually love watching tv.So you can imagine how annoyed I was when there was nothing but information about the switch for 12 hours straight...
- •It was hard to miss what was going on.In Norrköping, where my sister lives, they had even planted flowers in the shape of an H.
- •360 000 road signs have been changed.Can you imagine how much money has gone into this little trifling matter?
- •Well, anyway... All traffic was to stop completely at 04:50.Cars were instructed to move slowly to the right, and not start driving until 05:00. Quite exciting! Here in Stockholm all traffic was banned until three in the afternoon.
- •Me and some friends went down the street to watch.Magda next door thought there would be a bloodbath!
- •It was actually quite fun watching people try to figure it out.
- •It seemed like no one knew what they were doing.Quite amusing!
- •But today everything is back to normal.Glad to be done with the bother!
- •My daughter and grandchildren are coming by soon. Hope they remember to keep to the right!And I hope they're hungry! I've made their favorite. Cheese sandwiches and cinnamon rolls.
- •Thank you very much @jakebrandman for giving me access to this future thingy!