THINGS YOU'D THINK I'D LOVE, BUT I DON'T
Over the years, I have found that there are certain passions that many of the people I like best in this world share with each other, but not with me.
- •Lord of the RingsStill haven't finished the trilogy. Started when I was 9. Now over 50. Didn't watch the movies, either, despite casts, scenery and costumes.
- •Star TrekNot the original, not NextGen, not DS9, although I can reference all of them.
- •Star WarsSaw the original episodes at a tender-enough age that it should have shaped my personal mythology the way it shaped all my peers'. It didn't.
- •In fact, "Star" anything, really.Except Startalk, and the Jesuits in Space novel "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell.
- •Dr. WhoDon't try to engage me on which doctor is the best. I have nothing to offer.
- •JazzI love Big Band and swing, but improvisational instrumental jazz leaves me behind. There. I've said it.
- •Also, I think jazz and soccer are beloved by those who actually play them, rather those who watch/listen.It's probably a better experience when you fully understand what is being done.