15 Food Combinations I Adore
I am of the mind that delicious things are always better together. Here are some of my favorite food pairings.
- 1.Figs and HoneyGreeks have been doing this forever; it's a combination as old as western civilization. Drizzling honey on raw figs, honey and figs in yogurt, or baking figs with honey are all excellent choices.
- 2.Cheese and JamA baguette with a soft cheese (think Brie or Blue) and a cherry or strawberry jam is something everyone should try. Best enjoyed outdoors, like on a picnic blanket or park bench. Rosé optional.
- 3.Pretzels and Peanut ButterA classic. Bonus if it's chocolate-covered pretzels you're dipping in peanut butter.
- 4.Softserve with Rainbow Sprinkles and OreosThe best of both topping worlds; you get chocolate from the Oreos and the fun, birthday cake feeling from the sprinkles. I favor vanilla softserve as the base.
- 5.Raw Vegetables and SrirachaFrankly, I feel like food is merely a vehicle for condiments. I am incapable of eating something without dipping it in something else that is probably spicy, and this is a classic example of that. It's a quick (and healthy) snack that still satisfies my weird tastes.
- 6.Fruit with Lime Juice and Chili PowderAvailable on many corners of LA, this is the ultimate summer treat. @carolinek had a cart at her birthday party and I thought it was the best thing ever.
- 7.Mac & Cheese with CholulaCheesy and spicy are about the two best things food can be, so to me this is a no-brainer.
- 8.Pizza with Crushed Red Pepper and Garlic SaltI know many people like Ranch or Parmesan on pizza, but if you love spice like I do - crushed red pepper is a must. I also love garlic in/on basically anything, so naturally I think garlic salt on pizza rocks.
- 9.Popcorn with Old BayMy fiancé is from DC and he was the first person to introduce me to Old Bay. It's now my favorite seasoning in the world and is good on just about anything, but on popcorn it's the most perfect snack.
- 10.Berries with Homemade Whipped CreamI'm so not a whipped cream person, but when made from scratch and put on top of fresh raspberries and strawberries - it's utterly perfect.
- 11.Grilled Cheese with Ketchup/MustardGrew up with my mom making them this way and now I can't eat one without a good grainy mustard. I'm really obsessed with mustard and put it on everything. Add it on before cooking and the mustard flavor sort of bakes into it. Also a huge fan of then dipping said grilled cheese into ketchup while you eat it.
- 12.Bananas and ChocolateChocolate-covered bananas are my jam; specifically the kind you get on Balboa Island a la the Banana Stand. Love them with crushed peanuts or rainbow sprinkles.
- 13.Potato Chips on SandwichesThis was born out of a summer spent at camp in Switzerland at which the only vegetarian option was a plain cheese sandwich. This bored me, so I started adding chips into the sandwiches. To this day I think it's a winning combination.
- 14.Apples with LemonThe citrus really works with the crispness of a good apple. Also, lemon juice prevents apple slices from browning as fast!
- 15.Bread and ButterThe most classic food pairing of all. There is nothing on earth I would rather eat than warm bread with a fresh salted butter.