THE GUEST HOUSE
- •This being human is a guest house.
- •Every morning a new arrival.
- •A joy, a depression, a meanness,
- •Some momentary awareness comes
- •As an unexpected visitor.
- •Welcome and entertain them all!
- •Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
- •Who violently sweep your house
- •Empty of its furniture,
- •Still, treat each guest honorably.
- •He may be clearing you out
- •For some new delight.
- •The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
- •Meet them at the door laughing,
- •And invite them in.
- •Be grateful for whoever comes,
- •Because each has been sent
- •As a guide from beyond.