THE FIRST WEDDING I PHOTOGRAPHED
Weddings are awesome but tough to photograph. Unlike pictures of babies or dogs or whatever you can't be all, 'Whoa, hold on, I missed it, let's do that again!'
- •Back in 2007 I posted on Craigslist that I would second/third shoot just for the experience
- •A guy, let's call him FK, replied and said he had a wedding that Saturday
- •He phoned and wanted to know - in detail - about every item of equipment I hadI started to worry he was just planning to steal my equipment
- •He asked me to pick him up at 1pm and drive him to the bride's houseUmm, now I'm really worried, pick up a stranger and drive him somewhere? I made up a lame-ass excuse about how I was going to stay with a friend the night before
- •I asked about the dress codeHe told me 'whatever', I dressed conservatively (Catholic mass y'all) in black. He wore a sweaty/stained white button-down over a green sweaty t shirt. He was kind of pungent.
- •I arrived at the bride's house and he wasn't there
- •FK shows up looking (and smelling) like he slept in a bar
- •It's a nice day and they have a pretty front yard but he choses to take pictures in the basementI have to hold his homemade light stick - a broom handle with multiple flashes duct-taped to it
- •Time to go to church. Bride in limo. FK tells me he doesn't have a car and I need to drive him.
- •At church, lights are set up on the altar. Another random Craigslist dude is second shooting. I'm not given any instructions or direction.
- •Bride walks down the aisleFK follows her, crawling guerrilla-style on his belly up the aisle. Each time he takes a picture it's like a lightening storm with all of his lights on the altar
- •Priest stops ceremony and requests all photographers are seated and all lights are turned offMortifying.
- •It's now rainingAll post-ceremony pictures must be done indoors
- •FK gathers the bridesmaids and groomsmen and screams at them 'DO SOMETHING FUN'I learn that this is not a good way to direct people ;)
- •At the end of the wedding FK thanks me for my time and gives me $20 gas money