Singers With the Most Perfect Gritty Voices
Sometimes it sounds like they have bronchitis. But in a good way.
- •Lucinda WilliamsNow I've got "Essence" on repeat.
- •Adam YauchHis gruffness balanced out the other Beasties. I always memorized his verses first.
- •Hamilton Leithauser of The Walkmen*I* need a lozenge after listening to "The Rat."
- •Huey LewisExemplified by the intro/"I used to be a renegade... I used to fool around" of "Hip to be Square."
- •Kelly Jones of StereophonicsYes, I did a semester abroad in London in 2000. It makes more sense now, right?
- •Rachael YamagataShe's just so good. She works up to a great growl around the 3:50 mark of "Paper Doll."
- •Britt Daniel of SpoonAlways raspy, spectacularly so on Gimme Fiction.
- •Julian Casablancas"What Ever Happened" is as good an example as "Last Nite."
- •Brody DalleSee pretty much everything she's ever been a part of.
- •Marcus MumfordSee entire catalog. A beautifully unpredictable voice. He offers both gentle wavers and rough edges.
- •Karen DaltonSounds like some sort of Appalachian Billie HolidaySuggested by @samboyd