BUGS I'VE HELD
At the Victoria Bug Zoo, BC
- •This tarantula's name is Aurora. Very soft and not scary; we were told not to pet her because tarantulas are fragile. I wanted badly to pet her but I didn't.
- •This awesome stick insect climbed over my shoulder and down my back in about three strides. I like the long-legged bugs best.
- •Not gonna lie, this millipede made me shudder. But I held it anyway because I'm super tough like that.
- •Is it possible to fall in love with a bug? I fell in love with this glorious leaf insect. Look at his side - there are holes where fellow leaf insects chewed him bc he looks that leafy (they have few nerves so buddy didn't feel it).
- •Another leaf insect, also incredibly charming. She pitter pattered so daintily up my arm, I barely felt her.
- •If I remember correctly, this is a catydid - more of those long spindly green legs I love so much.
- •I might be mixing up the names from my list but I think this was a juvenile Malaysian jungle nymph. Best bug name ever.
- •Pretty sure this was a preying mantis. Check out the devil eyes. But it was a lovely bug, friendly and with those great, long bug legs.
- •And this was a Thorny Devil - also a great name and a pleasant bug to hold. I do like the vegetarian bugs.
- •Yes, it's a scorpion. I had no fear of this, but feared the millipede because what does logic have to do with bugs? Scorpio is my astrological sign so I knew we'd be tight.