A MORE ENHANCED EXPLANATION OF MAGIC: THE GATHERING
Please see my first Magic list for beginner information
- •There are three main constructed formats in Magic: legacy, modern, and standard
- •Legacy lets you use basically every card, with a few exceptions. Very high power levels
- •Modern lets you use every card since ~2005 and the pool keeps growing. Also a high level but lower90% of the cards today are stronger than the ones from yesteryear. But that lingering 10% is hugely powerful and changes a ton
- •Standard uses sets of the last two years and sets rotate out! This means the power level is lower and more flexible
- •Modern and legacy are better investments long term but standard has most immediate variety
- •Now there's the meta game
- •At a competitive level, it's crucial to plan ~around~ other decks
- •There are mutually agreed upon best decks and cards; but how do you invent or tweak or subvert?Innovation is crucial to surprising the opponent and fine-tuning your synergies and plan
- •For example; the extremely popular, powerful and flexible Lightning Bolt
- •It deals 3 damage to any creature or player for a single red mana. Elegant, flexible and powerful
- •Because of it, creatures with four toughness are specifically at a premiumRestoration Angel, Brimaz, King Of Zoster flourish as 3/4s.
- •They pass the "lightning bolt test"
- •A card you aren't even playing defines how you build a deck!
- •Welcome to the meta-game. There is a ton of that.
- •A very cheap but potent modern deck would be a budget delver deck