PRODUCTIVE THINGS TO DO IN DOWN TIME
Sometimes I get restless and can't write. What activities, like the gym and cleaning, help get you going when you feel like doing something
- •Full shutdown of electronics, then fresh air for at least 5 min. Chug 8oz of water. Then, if you're on deadline: back at it.Suggested by @ameliaville
- •Organize a section of my room and weed out stuff I don't need. It always feels good to let go of unnecessary things.Suggested by @StuckOnThe7
- •A walkExercise, perspective, happiness, and often ideas you need will come to you.Suggested by @bjnovak
- •Reading something new that is outside of the genre or style you are writing.Suggested by @babystevens
- •I like to wash all my sheets, towels, linens, etc., and then remake my bed.The fresh smell of clean sheets makes me feel so much more put together 👌🏾😌Suggested by @alishakurji
- •Take a showerThe best ideas always come to me there.Suggested by @krissybell76
- •reconnect with friendscreative people spend a lot of time alone. this is a good opportunity to get together with people you love but neglect.
- •Brush your teethReally random, but it gives me a few minutes to step away, and is a quick pick me up. If that doesn't work, I play ostrich and bury my head in the sand (i.e. take a nap and pretend it's not happening)Suggested by @bware427
- •Call a relativeWhen I have five or ten minutes I'll call my grandma or grandpa just to check in, it's always a strange and wonderful conversation that I cherishSuggested by @alicewilder
- •learn something newtake a calligraphy class, fix something broken around the house, take up duolingo... new experiences and getting crafty will fuel your ability to innovate creatively
- •make a list of all the steps you have to do to get whatever is nagging at you done. break it into tiny steps.studies show handwriting such a list and truly evaluating the steps it takes to complete a project is linked to the actual completion. you mentally prepare yourself for the process rather than being overwhelmed by the cumulative outcome.
- •clean your workspacemake it somewhere you want to sit and spend time. dress it up with a new houseplant or flowers to remind you that you actually do love what you do and it is a gift to yourself to be able to do it.
- •do something else creativeit's like jump starting a car. dust off an analog camera, write a short story, draw an imaginary plant in pseudo-scientific detail. it'll trick your brain into idea mode.
- •Chop wood carry water.Suggested by @Alphonse