THINGS KIDS LOVE
- •Being smarter than youThis will crack up younger kids to no end. Tell them the biggest number is 47. Refuse to budge. Politely suggest they're making those other numbers up.
- •Pompous tomfoolerySome kids need permission to play. Pompous tomfoolery lets the kid know this is playtime and that they get to be the protagonist, acting out in ways that wouldn't be socially acceptable; ie, the thrill of calling an adult "stinky"
- •Exaggerated reactionsAgain, this is a way to signal to the kid that you're playing theatrically
- •Wry clevernessKids love to banter. If the kid is sharp, really take them down the rabbit hole of the game or thought process. Challenge them wholly.
- •ResponsibilityTrust this kid with something. Don't make a big deal about it! The more unthinking it is, the more it signals responsibility and respect
- •To be leveled with"Hey; c'mon, man." Has won where "because I said so" never could.