TRAVEL TUESDAY: 10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD VISIT NAMIBIA
One of the best trips I ever did was to the fabulous Namibia. It is Africa's best kept secret. Sorry the photos aren't mine (Li.st won't let me post my own) but I do have many similar to these.
- •The peopleThe people are friendly but not overly so. Unlike most of Africa, as a female traveller you can walk around on your own safely and without being hassled.
- •Vast empty landscapesIt is a huge country with a very small population, you can drive all day and hardly see another car on the road. Yet the roads are good, service areas are clean and the scenery stunning.
- •The KalahariNamibia has not just one but two deserts, the Kalahari in the East is mostly scrubland harbouring plenty of wildlife.
- •The NamibBy contrast the Namib is all sand dunes and feels dead, although there are creatures lurking in places.
- •The Skeleton coastThe Atlantic pounds the long coastline, which is still littered with wrecked ships and a huge seal colony at Cape Cross.
- •Strange vegetationSome of the oldest plants in the world manage to survive the harsh conditions.
- •Cute creaturesAs well as the big five the place is riddled with meerkats.
- •Colonial heritageNamibia was a Germany colony. They did some unspeakable things there but also left a European architectural legacy.
- •Fish River CanyonI've never seen the Grand Canyon but this was pretty impressive, and no tourists to be seen.
- •EtoshaThe jewel in the crown, situated on the edge of a great salt pan, Etosha National Park is simply teeming with wildlife. I saw more game in one afternoon than in three days in South Africa's Kruger, and there are less tourists so you get it all to yourself 😍