TAKEAWAYS FROM BJ NOVAK ON THE TIM FERRISS SHOW
Little tidbits that I found interesting or useful from the @bjnovak interview on The Tim Ferriss Show. Interview was on November 25th 2015 so some things might need to be updated.
- •What books do you give most often as gifts?-Daily Rituals by Mason Currey -Oxford Book of Aphorisms by John Gross
- •Advice to New Stand Ups-Book first week of shows all at once. -You never know how an idea will play until you test it. -Find out what you love about an idea or bit. Ask what you are most proud of within that idea and go from there.
- •#1 Creative Productivity Advice (if it works for you)Separate writing into 2 Phases: idea phase and execution phase
- •Organizing a ShowIf you don't care about the money, always give it to charity - then everyone will do it and it will be a great show.
- •Writing materials-Moleskin Cahier notebooks (can buy 3 packs on Amazon) -Uniball Vision Pens
- •Powering up to write-Venti Starbucks -Music (Pandora - early blues or Sirius - 35 (indie/alt)) -Need to be in a good mood
- •When you think of Successful who do you think of?William Shakespeare - his work was moving and popular
- •Best purchase under $100Big ice cube tray
- •Podcast Recommendations-Great Debates -Intelligence Squared
- •Documentary recommendations-Catfish -To Be And To Have -Overnighters
- •TV Shows to watch good comedy writing-The Grinder -Mr. Show (Season 4)
- •Advice to 30 Year Old Self-Nobody is paying attention to anybody else. Take your time. Be in it, enjoy it.
- •Historical figure you aspire to be likeBen Franklin - Started in comedy, always kept sense of humor
- •If you were to teach a seminar at Harvard what would you teach?-Assign parodies of literature
- •Miscellaneous Advice (related to creativity)-Get people's attention and back it up -Think like the person hiring you