FIVE OF MY FAVORITES: WITH PHOTOS - WORDS (OR SHORT PHRASES)
Inspired by @ListPrompts Most of the following are my favorite due to the memory of learning them for the first time remaining so fixed in my mind. They're also all a pleasure to say.
- 1.SerendipityHas been my favorite word since Oct. 8, 2001 when I saw the movie and learned what this word meant. I still have the movie stub. Beautiful definition. Wonderful restaurant. Not the best movie, but made an imprint on me.
- 2.InquisitiveHomework on the first day of third grade was to write 3 words that described each student on this little paper star. My mom wrote them and included inquisitive. I had no idea what it meant and learned that night. It remains one of the most accurate descriptors of me.
- 3.FacetiousMy grandmother taught my grandfather this word very late in life and he got such a kick out of it he used to walk around saying it all of the time and laughing. He had only an 8th grade education as an Italian immigrant. My grandma graduated high school at age 16 (and was Irish). Theirs is my favorite love story.
- 4.Cellar DoorOften cited as the most beautiful sounding word/phrase in the English language. Special credit to Donnie Darko for provoking me to think about it and then fall in love with it.
- 5.Cognitive DiversityIntroduced to me by one of my favorite people @chgrey Now my most used word/phrase at work.
- 6.BONUS: Dessert Menu (British accent only)Freshman year of college, a few friends and I went to the Cheesecake Factory where we confidently ordered alcoholic beverages and were not carded. At the end of our meal, our handsome British server, Luke (one of my favorite names) offered us the dessert menu. Most beautiful sounding phrase in a British accent I assure you. Gets me every time.
- 7.FUN FACT: SublimeThe first time I ever considered such a thing as having a favorite word I was on the phone with my uncle as a young child, and I don't remember how it came up, but he told me sublime was his favorite. I thought it sounded wonderful and I adored my uncle. Adopted it as MY favorite until I got older and the constant association I make with the band soured it for me.