HOW THE HELL DO YOU PRONOUNCE IT? AND OTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT KOMBUCHA, ANSWERED
- •What is it?Fermented loose leaf tea. Sound gross? Bear with me.
- •How's it made?Tea and herbs are brewed and very lightly sweetened, then fermented with a "mother" probiotic bacteria called a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast). Then pressed juice can be added for additional flavor. Bear with me still! And see @shiraRD's list about why fermented foods are 💯: Chill Ways to Improve Gut Health (a Case for Fermented Foods)
- •Fermented...so it's got alcohol in it?Like, barely any (less than 0.5% by volume).
- •Is it gross?No, it's delicious.
- •Is it *really* delicious?Yes! Especially the flavored kind. The flavor isn't usually particularly strong, but light and refreshing. It's not very sweet, and some people might even refer to it as slightly vinegary. I get that; kombucha can have a distinctly tart and tangy flavor, but calling it vinegary seems a bit intense, at least to my mind (and tastebuds). I absolutely love the light, bubbly goodness of this stuff.
- •Why should I drink it?While there are differing opinions (and even some studies) about whether or not kombucha is truly beneficial to your health, kombucha does contain probiotics and antioxidants. Probiotics are great for your gut, and antioxidants are great for a number of things. See Mayo Clinic article for basics on probiotics: http://mayocl.in/1HPr6gF. IMO it's a great alternative to soda, with about 2-4grams of (natural) sugar per serving as opposed to about 10x that in regular soda.
- •Let's talk flavorsMy gateway into kombucha was with ginger, and it's a good place to start–very similar flavor to ginger ale , only much less sweet. I prefer to get my kombucha at a place near my parents' in Litiz, PA (http://www.drinkrenewal.com/ & legit looks like a place you'd find in Portland) but since I'm in DC, I buy Capital Kombucha which I can get at Trader Joe's (their ginger and Granny Smith flavors are great). Also, GT's (pictured) is based in LA and available at grocery stores nationwide.
- •How do you pronounce it?I'll be honest, I think it sounds weird and not-quite-right no matter how many times or ways I say it. But the correct way is basically kawm-BOO-chuh.