SOME FAVORITE HORROR MOVIE DEATHS
This list is probably gonna put ME on a list--an FBI watch list! Heyo!! (I promise I'm not a murderer) (is what a murderer would say!)
- •Judy/Ally/Cindy, SLEEPAWAY CAMP 1/2/3So I have complicated feelings about slut-shaming in horror movies. The SLEEPAWAY CAMP franchise (one which already has fucky gender politics) takes this to radical extremes, disposing of the "slutty" character via a curling iron, outhouse, and flagpole respectively. If anyone wants to talk about phallic/vaginal imagery, I'll be over here being avoided by everyone I know after I publish this list! (Pictured: Judy w flawless side pony and incredibly JUDY tshirt, which I covet shamelessly)
- •Killer hair, UZUMAKIIf you haven't seen this movie, DO SO IMMEDIATELY. It's this deeply bizarre Japanese movie about a town haunted by spirals. One girl's hair takes on a mind of its own, forming perfect spiral curls--but her vanity goes too far!
- •Phillip's Pinocchio moment, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET: DREAM WARRIORSArguably the strongest film of the franchise, DREAM WARRIORS balances the genuinely creepy tone of the first with the hyper-imaginative/bonkers energy of the later films. This scene captures that blend PERFECTLY-scary and creative!
- •Mercy kill, SLITHER"Bill! Shoot me!" And he's instantly shot. No hesitation, no tears, no bullshit about "I know you're in there! Fight!" Perfect comic timing in a perfect horror-comedy.
- •Opening, SUSPIRAWhen I was 12 I rented this for a sleepover and everybody got too scared after this scene and I got lectured by one girl's parents! For real.
- •Last call, THE BLOB (1988)I love this movie so much. Genuinely scary body horror, surprising twists, Del Close (?!??) in a major supporting part-what else do you need? The phone booth scene is perfect claustrophobic horror.
- •Canada and Love! FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH PART FOURI'm gonna be real-don't love the FRIDAY THE 13th movies. Of the holy trinity of slasher movies (Halloween, Nightmare, Friday the 13th) I find them to be pretty lacking in personality. But I love this bit! Her stupid hat, the CANADA AND LOVE/FUCK YOU sign, the banana--she's very weird and funny and memorable, like a character from another movie.
- •Critter ball! CRITTERS 2So stupid it goes around the corner and becomes genius