Five Best Versions of "Away in a Manger"
Again, not one of my favorites. But I have 14 versions, so I get to hear it a bit this time of year. If you have a favorite version of this song, which apparently was not written by Martin Luther as was long claimed, let me know.
- •1. Shawn Lee's Ping Pong OrchestraMy brother found this for one of the CDs he and I exchange every year. A little edgy, which is hard to do with this song.
- •2. The Klezmonauts, "Oy to the World - a Klezmer Christmas"There isn't a holiday song that doesn't sound better adapted for the Klezmer style.
- •3. Renée Fleming & Fred Hersch, "The Christmas Companion"This terrific singer and great pianist performed this live on "A Prairie Home Companion."
- •4. Dave Brubeck, "A Dave Brubeck Christmas"Nothing done by the great pianist is bad.
- •5. Washington Memorial National Carillon, "Christmas Bells: Carols of the Nativity"When I get another chance to put a song from the Valley Forge church bells, I take it.