THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE MSU EXTENSION SERVICE
For our first list, we wanted to share with you what Extension is all about!
- •MSU stands for Mississippi State University! That's right, you've got bulldogs making lists.
- •We are part of the Cooperative Extension System established by the Smith-Lever Act of 1914.MSU Extension is a publicly funded, informal educational system that links the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the land-grant university system, and individual counties.
- •There is an Extension office in all 82 counties in Mississippi!Each Extension office has Extension agents who are all great resources for members of the community. Read the next point on the list for more info about what educational topics Extension offers.
- •Extension offers education in four main areas!Agriculture and natural resources, family and consumer education, enterprise and community resource development and 4-H youth development.
- •Not only do we have Extension agents in counties, but we have Extension specialists.We have Extension specialists for everything from cotton to health! Specialists often conduct research and provide programs for agents to learn and take back to their counties.
- •4-H is a youth development program we offer for kids age 5-18!4-H strives to improve the quality of life for Mississippi youth by developing potential and providing hands-on educational programs. You probably recognize the clover!
- •Our main goal is to extend knowledge and change lives!