POLITICS, SOCIAL MEDIA, AND MY KIDS
Based on a lot of things I've seen, read, and heard in the last few months.
- •When my kids call each other "idiots" and "loser," they get in trouble.
- •When they, in effect, "spill the beans" on each other, I tell them to stop tattling.
- •When they use derogatory language and put-downs, I realize that they have nothing constructive to add to the conversation.
- •If they put down someone's looks, they are told how disrespectful that is and that people are not their appearance.
- •If they demonstrate little or no empathy for someone, we work on understanding how someone else's circumstance may be effecting his or her life.
- •They are reprimanded for being rude.
- •They are not permitted to act as if everyone around them is stupid and that they are the only ones who have all the answers.
- •They are not permitted to interrupt and need to wait their turn.
- •They are not allowed to be bullies.
- •They are not permitted to threaten.
- •They are taught the difference between fact and opinion.
- •They are taught that there are many sides to every situation.
- •They are not permitted to lie about someone for their own benefit.
- •And my kids will NEVER be allowed to stigmatize others just so maybe those people will slink back into the shadows, shamed and afraid.