Abelism?... Am I abelist?...
discrimination in favor of able bodied people. *tweets from Chronically Fab* #Spoonies #DisabledCommunity #disability #InvisibleIllness #ChronicIllness #ChronicLife #DisabilityDiversity
- •Most people know about overt AbelismBut most believe they aren't guilty of such behavior or prejudice
- •Thinking you always know when you're around someone w/ a disability is a sign that you need to educate yourself#InvisibleIllness #Spoonies #MentalIllness
- •The worst thing you can do to someone with an Invisible Disability is make them prove their disabled. Or disabled enough.
- •Good rule of thumb before asking a question or a making comment to a disabled person...Would this be too personal to ask an abled person? Would an abled person be okay with me touching them or being in their space like this? Would I ever say something like this to an abled person?
- •Stop judging every book by its cover. What you see is not what you get.Even a person with visible disabilities can be afflicted with Invisible Disabilities as well. Don't assume you can see their story at a glance.