Cooking (Eating) My Way Through Valentine's Day
My day to spend too much $$ and too much time on food and drink...
- •Breakfast cocktails: French 75Hendricks + lemon + champagne + simple syrup = perfect start to the day. Top with some lemon rind and you're set!
- •But I made it with rosè so it's pink 😍Fun fact: rind and zest are only the "colorful oily" part of the fruit while peel is the entire outer skin that includes the bitter pith
- •Breakfast: Orange pecan cinnamon rollsPre-frosting (perfect mix of Alton Brown and Paula Deen recipes! Plus my zinger ingredient: Orange zest)
- •With frosting and sprinkles because ♥️♥️The black specs are vanilla bean (because like I said I'm spendin all dat ca$h today) 😋
- •Lunch: NOTHING. SAVE ROOM OR DIE.(Also we went to Cooper Hewitt so no food allowed.)
- •Pre-dinner cocktails: Bulleit on the "rock"One large ice cube forever. (A little melted by the time I took this pic.)
- •Dinner cocktail: Blanton's neatDon't eff up Blanton's with any of this water BS...
- •Dinner: Gordon Ramsay's Beef WellingtonFirst time making this and it came out pretty well. Next time I'm going to put some English mustard on the inside of the puff pastry for a nice KICK.
- •Dinner sides: Creamed spinach and parmesan red potatoesI wanted the spinach to be just like the stuff you get in a steakhouse. Hint: when I started adding nutmeg it started tasting right.
- •Pre-Dessert drinks: Homebrew StoutYes, I label all my bottles, I'm only 62% embarrassed about this. I call this one kitchen sink because I threw a bunch of stuff in it. (Coffee, vanilla, cocoa nibs, brewed with oatmeal)
- •Dessert: secret recipe chocolate chip cookiesOne part of the secret is to chill the dough at least 24 hours. Important: wrap very tightly with plastic wrap, oxygen is gunna straight up kill your dough. I've been working on this recipe for 5.5 years. I will only share it upon my death (maybe). Not even my Valentine knows the recipe because I've never written it down, it's all memorized...mmmmmwwahahahahah
- •Part of the secret: Chop yo chocolate by hand for beautiful layersThis is blurry because we've been celebrating all day (aka cocktails) and also I almost forgot to take a pic.
- •Chopping pic (pre-blurry stages)Long slices of chocolate are the way to go! Beautiful cookie layers...🍪🍪🍪🍪
- •Late night cocktails: Bulleit and ginger aleLord forgive me for I have sinned. (I'm sorry bourbon gods I'm out of makers and buffalo trace)
- •Later night: More kitchen sinkUh oh....the moaar homebrew