Happy Birthday Tig Notaro
(Also me, that's why I remember it's her birthday.)
- •Tig Notaro is one of my favorite stand ups. Damn y'all, she's got so much style.Check her out on This American Life: http://tal.fm/464/2
- •Tig is incredibly confident, witty, and obviously funny.The last grade she finished was 7TH GRADE?! Yet, she's so bright and quick and smart and awesome. INSPIRED.
- •All of this is made even more baller by the fact that she has been through so much.C-Diff (almost killed her), her mothers death, breast cancer, double mastectomy, not being able to have children...any one of which would be tough, but can you imagine handling ALL OF THEM?
- •So after she'd been through all these struggles, she looked CANCER right in the face. And she decided to do what she did best, stand up and make people laugh about it.Just a few hours after receiving her diagnosis, she got on stage to do a set...
- •She did a "game changing" set at Largo, talking honestly and hilariously about losing her mom, cancer, breakups and how ridiculous it all seemed.She was just telling everyone about how her life was falling apart, but it was so relatable and real and cool that the audience felt comfortable enough to laugh. (She says she could see people in the audience crying as well.)
- •Louis CK was there that night and tweeted, “In 27 years doing this, I’ve seen a handful of truly great, masterful standup sets. One was Tig Notaro last night at Largo.”(Link to Louie's thoughts and the live set here: https://louisck.net/news/about-tig-notaro)
- •And the internet went nuts.
- •The set went viral, even without any video or audio of it being released. Just the idea of a strong, smart woman making a joke out of cancer was able to go viral.Isn't that crazy? People were excited about something they couldn't see or hear or interact with...they were just excited that it happened.
- •And Tig got the recognition she deserved.Like crazy recognition, stories in all the major publications, a best selling comedy album, and HBO special, the whole shebang.
- •And she didn't stop there. In 2014 she did a set topless, proudly displaying her mastectomy scars.
- •And there's an amazing documentary about her in Netflix right now.Go watch it it's her birthday! (It's called 'Tig,' I know, impossibly cool right?)
- •Because of Tig every year on my birthday I think..."How can I stand up and LAUGH IN THE FACE of my problems?"
- •So cheers to your awesomeness and your birthday, Tig!