Irrational Childhood Fears
Most of these have carried into adulthood, let's be honest.
- •Lived in constant fear that a spider would lay it's eggs under my skin.Thanks a lot, "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark."
- •Always wondered how people kept driving when they had to sneeze. Feared that, years in the future, when I finally learned to drive, I'd have to sneeze and would undoubtedly crash and die.
- •Every time my mom was running late to pick me up from school, I thought, for sure, someone in my family had died.The dark thoughts of an anxiety-ridden 12-year-old.
- •Feared that, at any moment, an asteroid would enter the atmosphere and I'd have to watch and wait, helplessly, as the lethal blast wave of destruction came towards me.Thanks a lot, "Armageddon" and educational dinosaur extinction reenactments.
- •Feared "The Big One" was going to hit while I was asleep and our house would collapse on top of me.
- •Thought there were going to be A LOT more strangers trying to coax me into their car than there actually were.
- •Feared there would be razor blades in my Halloween candy or that someone might have sneakily injected poison into them without damaging the wrapper.Didn't stop me from eating it.
- •Fear that consuming watermelon seeds would result in a watermelon growing in my bellySuggested by @aminam
- •"Knock on wood" phaseThis was probably just a really weird OCD thing but literally every thought I had that could potentially result in something bad was refuted by knocking on wood. Some nights I would just be laying in bed knocking on my headboard for 20 minutesSuggested by @hailey
- •Quicksand.I anticipated this would be a greater problem than it is.Suggested by @kaitmaree
- •Fear of going to the bathroom at night because a man might pop out of the toilet after you flushed. #truestorySuggested by @MsKateElise
- •Fear of "Bloody Mary" appearing in the bathroom mirror.Thanks to my best friend who made me do that whole thing with her when I slept over one night. I couldn't wash my face at night for a long time after that because I was convinced when I looked up, she would be there in the mirror.Suggested by @DG
- •Nuclear War on our soil.Suggested by @notme