YOU KNOW YOU ARE IN NEWPORT RHODE ISLAND WHEN...
I grew up visiting my family during the summer in Newport a very waspy summer enclave
- •All the lights are off in the house except for the one room you are in
- •Day drinking doesn't count if it's made in a blender
- •Day drinking doesn't count as long as you play tennis
- •Your house is usually your grandmother's and needs serious repairs
- •Lunch could be cheese and triscuits
- •There is plenty of talk of tax savings and estate planning but none of getting jobs or having a career to make any money. There is very little money left from the trust they got in the 70s.
- •The massive houses called "Cottages" are all open to the public for tours or available for random weddings
- •When I get excited to say Taylor Swift lives in Watch Hill I get a dirty look
- •The most common greeting I get is "So what does the Hamptons have that we don't?"