10 STEPS TO A 10K - A TALE FROM A BAD RUNNER
Completed my first 10k - average pace 11.5min/mile I AINT BREAKIN NO RECORDS
- 1.Remind yourself that humans do this all the timeSomehow knowing a lot of people can do it makes me feel better
- 2.Start small and work your way upMy first week of running, I was only running 10 min at a time. Still felt like I was dying. But 4 weeks later, I was running 4-5 miles and feeling okay
- 3.Run at least 3x per weekNot everyday, that's insanity. But you gotta stay consistent
- 4.Do long runs on the weekendIf you work, like I do, it's hard to spend 45-60 min running after work. Shorter runs during the week and then nice long runs on Saturday or Sunday.
- 5.Schedule in short, fast runsOccasionally our 'coach' aka someone who has run a marathon and can google '10k running plan' would tell us to run 1 mile as fast as possible. Those days were fast and made you feel good about your time
- 6.Drink more waterMajor 🔑
- 7.You'll have off daysSometimes your body says NO. Run anyway. Even if it's so slow
- 8.A buddy helpsI run with someone that runs faster than me. She's far ahead but at least it's someone to commiserate with before and afterwards
- 9.Get a good playlistI don't care what kind of music gets ya groovin, but yeah, you need music.
- 10.Schedule an actual raceSometimes I tell myself it's enough to just know in my heart that I can run a 10k. But getting a T shirt that says 10K is better. Trust me. Plus it's a concrete date to work up to
- 11.That's it!Running sucks. But getting better at running is great. You can do it! Just remember, slow and steady finishes the race 🏃🏻