THINGS MY STUDENTS TALK ABOUT THAT I WISH THEY WOULDN'T
I'm the dean of the class of 2018 at a fancy private high school in NYC.I am responsible for 155 9th graders who like to chill on the couches of my office and let me eavesdrop.
- •PromposalsThis wasn't a thing when I was in hs, but now if you want to go to prom with someone you have to make a big production and like, surprise her with trombones in Chemistry. It's super hetero-normative and strikes me as exclusionary. I hate it. They love it.
- •50 Shades of GreySelf explanatory. If I have to hear one more 14 year old say "the lifestyle", I might barf.
- •Sexy dresses they would like to buyThere's a lot of shopping during free periods. And everything is about how hot you're going to look and how much money you will spend. And I prefer to think they are sexless. And more class conscious.
- •Where they want to go to collegeIt's 9th grade! Slow your roll! Live in the moment!!
- •Each otherTeenagers can be just as mean as you remember them being and it breaks my little heart.