THINGS I STRUGGLE WITH
Some are personal struggles and some are moral dilemmas, but these are some things I find difficult. I'm really a pretty happy person but since this is such a warm and open community, I thought I'd share. Please feel free to add or make suggestions, I'm a fan of the open list :)
- •How to handle and actually help with homelessnessWalking past a human asking for help is extremely heart wrenching and difficult. I have yet to figure out a good way of handing this, and it's something I see on a daily basis. I end up giving whatever change or small bills I have to anyone I can, though that seems more a way to easy my conscience than to truly make a difference. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
- •How to tell a friend they are making others uncomfortableA friend saying an uncomfortable joke or starting a fight and causing a tense vibe is very stressful for me, and I'm still working on how to handle it without making anyone more upset. I'm guessing confronting them in a kind way is the best option - not my strength.
- •School elitismThis is hard for me because I went to a state school (hail to Pitt!) and I'm very proud of it. But, as I get older I see how going to a more elite school can open doors for you in ways that Pitt can't, which makes me think I'd try to push my (imaginary) kid in that direction regardless of my awesome college experience, both socially and academically. Also I'm very jealous of the fancy school closeness where you have reunions and and recognize classmates etc. But I don't want to feel that way.
- •Eating meatThere are lots of environmental and humane reasons I'd like to less if not no meat, but I find it is way easier said than done.
- •Fading friendshipsI try to put a lot into my friendships, and expect the same in return. I'm working on understanding that not everyone keeps in touch to the same level, but I find it very sad to let important relationships fade, and very hurtful to feel like I'm the only one putting in effort.
- •Feeling unsuccessfulWho doesn't worry about this or compare themselves to others sometimes? It's hard to always stay in the mindset of "look what I've accomplished" and not slip into "look at what I haven't done".
- •So well said. I felt like I could hear you read this list aloud. But also - people touching your legs 😬Suggested by @crossetter