Proof That I Am a "Genuine Westerner" Despite Being From California
In Justice Antonin Scalia's dissent re: the Supreme Court's decision to support gay marriage, Scalia stated that "not a single Southwesterner or even, to tell the truth, a genuine Westerner (California does not count)" sat on the court. I don't sit on the court, but damn if I'm not a Westerner. To wit:
- •I am writing this list while wearing a cowboy hat, which is my normal weekend headgear. (From the Country General Store on Van Nuys Blvd, which is amazeballs.)
- •Own and utilize bandanas.
- •Unless it is summer I am usually in boots. My favored pair feature zigzag snakeskin inlays.
- •Totally comfortable in a Texas tuxedo.
- •Fan of cowboy caviar.
- •Two of my last four vacations were spent on dude ranches.
- •Took my son horseback riding this morning.
- •My brother has a Clint Eastwood-themed bathroom devoted to The Outlaw Josey Wales and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
- •Another brother was the prop master on Tombstone.
- •Cried during True Grit and Shane.
- •Binge-watched Hell on Wheels and Deadwood.
- •Listen to Willie's Roadhouse every day on Sirius.