8 Innovations That Could Actually Make Airplanes More Comfortable
Here are the 8 winners of the The Oscars of the plane cabin, the Crystal Cabin Awards.
- 1.Cleaner toiletsBoeing won the top award in the cabin Health category for a fancy self-cleaning toilet.
- 2.Adjustable seatsRebel Aero won an award for its new Economy seat which is a departure from the norm: two seats in one. The Rebel Aero seat lets you sit as you normally would, comfortably (well, plane comfortably), or sit/standing with the seat bottom folded up.
- 3.More privacyThis year's winner from TU Delft university in Holland proposed a simple yet brilliant folding "hammock" headrest. Top selling feature: It's a great cue for Chatty Chuck next to you that you don't want to hear his Jon Snow dead or alive theory for the duration. It's also a great place to rest your head when you sleep.
- 4.Groovier cabinsB/E Aerospace won for its new Viu lighting system which also allows image projections
- 5.Earthier cabinsAustrian manufacturer F.LIST won for its wood panel flooring which is ready to fly.
- 6.Stiff competition for better Business and FirstEtihad takes the cake on this, which is why they've also taken home a CCA for their First Suites. And that's just the beginning.
- 7.Cord cutting continuesToday, it's all about wireless BYOD — that's bring-your-own-device — entertainment. There’s growing competition in this area, but Lufthansa Systems won for Board Connect which first gave this trend a boost.
- 8.A creative overhaulThe Lifestyle cabin by Zodiac Aerospace includes family seating separate from singles, couples seating, seats designed for those who want to work and be left alone, beds which economy passengers can book to sleep horizontally, walkways to stretch your legs, lounges, private apartments — you name it.