Pardoned Turkeys: Where Are They Now?
By Tom O'Donnell(http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/pardoned-turkeys-where-are-they-now)
- •GobblerPardoned by George H. W. Bush, 1989. Currently serving a life sentence in Leavenworth Penitentiary. Gobbler was convicted of two counts of second degree murder, both committed during a botched robbery in 1992.
- •PilgrimPardoned by Bill Clinton, 1997. Today, living in a group home in Carroll County, Maryland. Pilgrim has spent much of the last 14 years in and out of psychiatric and drug treatment facilities. He credits a 2009 religious conversion with helping him turn his life around, and now has over two years sober.
- •BiscuitsPardoned by George W. Bush, 2004. Now residing in Pasadena, California under the name “Arnold Levinson.” Biscuits earned an accounting degree from UC Irvine and currently works as a CPA for the firm of Gourley & Madigan. He met his future wife Cheryl on a singles cruise in 2007. It was love at first sight, and the two were married in a non-denominational ceremony later that year.
- •MarshmallowPardoned by George W. Bush, 2005. Founder and administrator of Building Dreams, an Ohio-based charity which offers counseling and job placement services to recently-pardoned turkeys. Marshmallow’s best-selling memoir, 'I Beg Your Pardon,' and numerous appearances on 'Hardball With Chris Matthews' have brought national attention to the cause of pardoned-turkey rights.
- •Big TomPardoned by Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, 2008. After a lengthy legal battle, Big Tom’s pardon was ultimately revoked by the U.S. Supreme Court. Their decision held that according to the Constitution, the power to pardon turkeys lies solely with the president and not with state or local governments. Big Tom was executed in December of 2010.
- •CouragePardoned by Barack Obama, 2009. Currently a contestant on Fox’s hit reality singing competition 'The X-Factor.' Courage’s amazing vocal range means she’s just as comfortable crooning jazz standards as she is belting out arena rock anthems. Courage is represented by Cynosure Creative Management of Los Angeles.
- •ApplePardoned by Barack Obama, 2010. Missing since June of this year. Apple is wanted for questioning regarding the shooting death of Steven Whitcombe of Bisbee, Arizona on the night of June 19th, 2011. If you have any information regarding Apple’s whereabouts, please contact local authorities.