Sylvia Plath's Holiday Cooking Tips
By Arabella Anderson (http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/sylvia-plaths-holiday-cooking-tips)
- •StuffingYou’ll want to use lots of herbs, herbs from the ground— / The ground, dirt between my fingers. / Dirt—our mortal blanket.
- •TurkeyMake sure you tender the meat. / Care for it as you would a child. / Sadness tastes bitter on anxious lips.
- •DessertsTo watch the smiles erupt— / As saccharine doses delight them / Is sweeter than the purest honey
- •DrinksFizzy potions to toast the joyous moments / Or to numb the pain caused by those / Who call themselves “family.”
- •LeftoversThe cauldron of morning / Replenish your hunger with the effort of meals past / That new taste is cold realization.