THE TRUTH ABOUT MY JEWISHNESS
- •My name doesn't give it away.My name is Morgan Walton Murphy. Bert Walton was my maternal great grandfather's Vaudeville stage name. He was a Goldstein but changed his last name to Walton, so that eventually became my mother's maiden name. Two years ago I found out that Bert was a comedian known as "The International Cynic." I bought an old photo of him on eBay.
- •I don't self identify as "half"I was raised by my mom, and not exposed to to my dad's religion (Catholicism) but for a couple trips to church as kid. I took communion which I think is illegal or something. I was hungry.
- •I never had a Bat MitzvahI went to Hebrew School till I was 13. My mom didn't want to pay for a Bat Mitzvah. Sometimes in the car I start reciting songs and prayers from the parts of my brain that holds Jewy stuff. I don't know what they mean anymore but I know enough to have been a terrible Hebrew School teacher for 2 weeks.
- •I've never been to Israel.I was offered a lot of free trips there when I wasn't old enough to make decisions for myself, but my mom wouldn't let me go. Despite the fact that she worked on a kibbutz in her youth, she was truly afraid I'd get blown up on a bus. I still have to go.
- •My Hebrew name is "Malka"it means queen
- •Eat Days of HanukkahI could eat lox & chicken liver & matzoh brei forever. My favorite thing about every Jewish event was always the food. I remember hearing someone had died when I was little and all I knew was that meant we'd go to a house where they'd have deli platters (and I could put however much mayonnaise I wanted on my roast beef sandwich). Wish I could remember who died. Probably someone cool.
- •Jewish BoysI don't think they like me. Maybe I'm not Jewish enough for Jewish guys who like Jewish girls, and I'm not "exotic" enough for Jewish guys who don't like Jewish girls. Or I just never leave my apt & I'm mistaking self-imposed solitude with being disliked.