Bob Dylan Flood/Levee Songs & might-have-beens
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Dylan devotee, 44 years now, I can't get enough! But it can be fun to play with the lyrics of someone who sings "...get your lunch, you foreign bib, you ain't no head of lettuce." So here are 7 real titles & 10 possibilities.
- •A Hard Rain's a-Gonna FallIn this unqualified gem (one among dozens) I guess itsa hard, itsa hard, itsa HARD rain that's gonna fall. I'm thinkin' flood.
- •Crash on the Levee (Down in the Flood)"The meanest flood anybody's ever seen!"
- •High Water (for Charley Patton)"High water risin', the shacks are slidin' down... Folks are leavin' town... things are breaking up out there, high water everywhere" (released 9/11/2001!)
- •Buckets of RainNot only buckets of rain, but tears! And all these buckets comin out of his ears. Pretty flood-y if you ask me.
- •The Levee's Gonna Break...only "if it keeps on a-rainin'" but as we already know, itsa hard rain...and all those buckets!
- •"You'd better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone..."...cause the times they are a-you-know-what! ing.
- •Before the Flood (*bonus=album!)And below: the "might-have-beens," (which I may have called "missed opportunities" if I weren't absolutely certain Bob was reading this...Thank you, sir!) >>>>>
- •I Wanna be Your Levee, Baby!......I wanna be your flood!
- •Shelter From the FloodI believe this is what Bob was really thinking, but you know he changes lyrics with every performance, so we got "storm." It works.
- •Watching the Levee FloodWhatsa matter with him? Just sittin' there on that bank of sand...
- •Flood in My EyesFrom the Album "Oh, Levee"
- •Sittin' on a Barbed Wire LeveeBob looking back to the pre-concrete days
- •I Feel a Flood Comin' OnAlways the prescient one
- •Sad-Eyed Levee of the FloodlandsBob in his most anthropromorphic stage, his "haunted, frightened trees" and one apparently very upset levee.
- •You're a Big Levee Nowfrom the masterpiece album "Flood on the Tracks"
- •Levee Minus Zero / No FloodDrawing conclusions on the wall!
- •Blind Levee McFloodOk, pushin' it now...please add your own!