Things the Fried Chicken Festival Could do Better Next Year
As I stand in a seemingly endless line snaking under live oaks and across flower beds (sorry, plants), dripping sweat, there are several things that are immediately apparent:
- •The festival needs to be TWO DAYS. New Orleans does too many amazing things with fried chicken to put it all in one day. Also, people would be less crazed.
- •The festival organizers did a great job with social media marketing. Maybe too good.
- •Obtaining crab boiled fried chicken with crab fat fried rice from Milkfish requires patience and perseverance, as does chicken from Willie Mae's Scotch House tent.
- •All drink tent lines should be able to provide all drinks listed on the tent. Nothing pisses off a thirsty fest goer than standing in line for 30 minutes, only to be told that your line doesn't sell X drink - the 30 minute line 6 inches away does, and the signage is not indicative of the difference.
- •They should have bands at both ends of Lafayette Square, like the BBQ and Blues fest.
- •People who cut in lines should be consigned to a very uncomfortable circle of hell.
- •Bitching about lines does not make you less hot. Striking up conversations around you is more fun and makes the time pass (and I don't even like people, so you KNOW I got bored).
- •A portable charger for your phone is a must. I prefer the Anker series.
- •More drink tents. This is New Orleans, y'all.