Best Non-compliment Compliments to Use When Your Friend's Work Sucks
A useful guide for when you don't want to lie but don't have anything nice to say.
- •You!!!! You did it!(Unfortunately the "it" was suck.)
- •Wow! That was unbelievable.(Because it was so terrible)
- •I am blown away - seriously. Absolutely floored.(At just how bad that was.)
- •You!!!! You did it, again!(Still not getting any better, are you?)
- •You were born to (insert whatever they do - act, sing, dance, write, juggle, competitive eat, etc.)(But between birth and being good, you're going to need a lot more practice.)
- •It's clear that you put so much work into this
- •I just found out I'm pregnantNot a compliment but it'll definitely shift the focus pretty quickly. This is a tough one to use multiple times and - depending on your level of commitment to saving face - you might have to get pregnant.
- •You!!!! How do you keep doing it?!You're something else.
- •Congratulations!!!(And then that's it, run away)Suggested by @maya
- •Was that seriously you up there?!(Please tell me it wasn't, because yikes!)
- •What. Just. HAPPENED.I go for energized incredulity- it can be read as positive. ("HOW. HOW." "This?? You?? NOPE.")Suggested by @thebfg
- •So INTERESTING !Suggested by @ruddybuddy
- •Just. Wow.Suggested by @EricElkins
- •No words...Suggested by @molliekatzen
- •No way!...should you ever do that again. ...should you continue to pursue this line of work.Suggested by @dball
- •"So BRAVE"This was our go-to at NYU.Suggested by @meganriordan
- •You must be so proud! How did it feel?! It made me think of [insert reference to a positive memory you share that crossed your mind] and how [continue discussing positive memory]. You were totally channeling all that--but filtering it through the uniqueness that is you!Suggested by @SGGinNYC
- •You have so much to be proud of!You're not, of course, referring to the work in question but their child/dog/car.Suggested by @ReeseGolchin