Japan's Obsession With Duffy, the Disney Bear
Shout out to @carlyewisel for the inspiration and @laureng for being Duffy obsessed
- •Who is Duffy?Minnie made a teddy bear for Mickey during his time away and stuck him in Mickey's duffle bag - hence the name. As you will learn shortly, many Japanese people are OBSESSED with Duffy - more than Mickey, more than Totoro, more than anyone.
- •He BOMBED in FloridaHe was originally intended for the Florida parks but was a major bomb. Disney decided to ship the tens of millions of dollars of Duffy merchandise to Japan, hoping they would take better to the bear. Never in Disney's wildest dreams could they have predicted how successful he would become.
- •Park guests treat Duffy like their own childrenAs you'll see in the following photos, guests push Duffy around in strollers, pose him for pictures, and (I'm sorry, I can't find the photo I took of this) seat their entire Duffy family around the dinner table with them. (Also couldn't find the stroller picture where Duffy and Shellie May - his girlfriend - are actually *in* the stroller, but I assure you that's commonplace)
- •Posing for photos
- •Posing for photos 2Note, this was a photo JUST of Duffy and Shellie May - no humans were in this photo.
- •10 second DuffyI play a game whenever I'm in the Tokyo parks called "10 second Duffy" where you only win if you can go 10 seconds without seeing a Duffy. I've never won. How about you, @taybelight or @EthanDawes ?
- •10 second Duffy 2FYI that's "milk tea popcorn"
- •10 second Duffy 3You lost
- •10 second Duffy 4You lost
- •10 second Duffy 5You lost
- •10 second Duffy 6You're on the subway home and lost.
- •Duffy's girlfriend, Shellie MayWhy does Duffy have a girlfriend? $$$$$$
- •Re-selling Duffy merchandiseDuffy merchandise is sold at a handful of stores, but guests will wait HOURS in line to purchase gear (he's got all sorts of outfits) from the official Duffy store in DisneySea. If you're reselling Duffy stuff online and can provide a receipt that shows it came from that store, it goes for twice as much as the same exact thing from another Disney store.
- •Me as DuffyThat's a Milk Tea Popcorn Duffy container
- •The hidden MickeyCheck out the white in Duffy's face...
- •Duffy has a cat friend, GelatoniSuggested by @richardkraft