Out in Front, Ahead of Its Time, Vol. 1
Products that missed their time by launching too early
- •Evian - Fancy artisanal waterThere was a time when Evain was *the* bottled water brand for those to whom money was no object. Today they seem equivalent to Aquafina while others - Fiji, Voss, Smart - are considered luxury water brands.
- •TCBY - FroyoIt stands for The Country's Best Yogurt. You didn't know that because you never went there. TCBY pretty much called it quits. And then... Pinkberry, Yogurtland, Menchie's, Red Mango, Tasti D-lite...
- •TiVo - DVRFor a brief moment, TiVo was king. But they eventually got squeezed out by cable and satellite companies who essentially stole their product. For some time, to 'TiVo' something was a verb, but I recently started hearing 'DVR it' which officially marks the end of TiVo.
- •Segway - douchey transportationSegway promised to change the world. Instead, they gave us Paul Blart. But now, 14 years after the Segway was debuted, teenagers and aspiring hip-hop artists can often be seen floating around on IO Hawks, which are essentially $1,800 Segways without the handlebars.
- •Snapple and Sobe - Non-carbonated soft drinksNon-carbonated soft drinks is a multi-billion dollar industry in the US. Snapple and Sobe got out of the gate a little too fast and, as a result... Who the fuck gets Snapple or Sobe anymore?!?
- •eBaum's World - Funny internet aggregatorsBefore FuckJerry, BeigeCardigan, the Fat Jewish, and co. there was eBaum. Between Twitter, FB, and Instagram, eBaum has about 1.7M followers, which is mild compared to the aforementioned kings and queens of stealing other people's memes and posting them under their own names.
- •Robek's JuiceThe juice industry is thriving in LA, thanks to Instagram-worthy spots like Pressed Juicery & Earth Bar, neither of which sport a clip-art hummingbird as their logo.
- •Second Life — Online sandbox gamesMarkuss Persson, one of the creators of Minecraft, is worth $1.5 billion. Enough said.