Studio Ghibli Films, Ranked
Check out the Ghibli list by @LizWatson
- 1.My Neighbor TotoroA film that says so much and speaks so loudly, yet has very little dialogue or plot, which is testament to just how beautifully animated and scored this film is. A must watch for anyone, of any age. Also guaranteed to make me cry, 100% of the time.
- 2.Princess MononokeThe line between good and evil, right and wrong, is so beautifully blurred that this film feels more like reality than fantasy. Also a favorite because I visited Yakushima Island, which inspired the forests in this film.
- 3.Spirited AwayThe only foreign film to win an Oscar for best animated film, and rightfully so. Spirited Away, like all the best Ghibli films, will nestle into your heart and remain their long after the movie ends.
- 4.Howl's Moving CastleIf you watch the American dub, you will doubly fall in love with Howl, voiced by Christian Bale. Billy Crystal makes the film, however. Again, the line between good and evil is slightly blurred.
- 5.Kiki's Delivery ServiceAn eloquent coming of age story, which makes Kiki more suitable for children, though it's a classic Ghibli film and can (and will) be enjoyed by anyone who has a goddamn heart. I love you, Kiki and Jiji (her cat.)
- 6.Mr. Dough and the Egg PrincessA short that plays at the Studio Ghibli museum in Tokyo. I saw this 12 minute film once, 4 years ago and I still remember every frame. Classic Miyazaki.
- 7.Castle in the SkyAs with many Ghibli films, I don't remember the plot in too much detail (though I remember being thoroughly entertained.) Instead, I remember the incredible visuals and moving score by Joe Hissaishi.
- 8.PonyoThe fact that Ponyo is not one of Studio Ghibli's best films just speaks to how amazing all their films are. Not since Walt Disney's 'Pinocchio' has water been animated so beautifully.
- 9.The Wind RisesI had the pleasure of seeing this at the El Capitan with @Lauren I think it's best appreciated by those who are already well versed in the Ghibli universe. There are moments that will bring you to tears - of sorrow, of love, of laughter - and long stretches that will leave you puzzled if you're new to Ghibli
- 10.Nausicaä of the Valley of the WindEasily the creepiest Ghibli film (the antagonists are giant beetles) and if I remember correctly, kind of depressing. But, to its testament, you will never forget the imagery or the general weird-factor. Also part of the Ghibili environmental canon
- 11.I'm still missing some great ones, please add your reviews if you've seen them!
- 12.Porco Rosso!!!! Personally, I'd put this one near the top !!!!!!Suggested by @zoe
- 13.The Cat ReturnsMy favorite!!! Not Miyazaki, technically, but the music and story are beautiful and inspiring. And the English dub is great. Seriously. Baron is the coolest cat.Suggested by @alien