The World of Coppola, Ranked
Coppolas, Cage, and Schwartzmans, oh my!
- 1.The Godfather I & IIObligatory answer, but, you know, deserved.
- 2.Lost in TranslationIf you've ever spent time in Japan this movie hits that much harder. If you've ever been in love with something or someone that didn't work out and that was okay, this movie hits even harder. And if, like me, both of those things are true then you can't watch this film enough.
- 3.Coconut RecordsJason Schwartzman is Coppola-enough for this list. Both CR records have this fantastic production that sound like Jason just recorded these little ditties one afternoon in his garage - it's very intimate and casual. PS Bostonians: the chime on the Blue Line is the same as the opening notes to "West Coast."
- 4.Moonrise KingdomProduced by Roman Coppola, this would be Wes Anderson's best film if all his other films weren't also his best films.
- 5.The soundtrack to Virgin SuicidesAnd by extension, Phoenix and Air (honorary Coppola members.) I think Playground Lover has such a fantastic chord progression that I've been known to sit at the piano for an hour just hammering it out, á la "All Work and No Play..."
- 6.AdaptationNicolas Coppola AKA Nicolas Cage AKA Ghost Rider proving he's a Coppola in two amazing performances.
- 7.The Fantastic Mr. FoxRoman Coppola voiced a squirrel in what would be Wes Anderson's best film if all his other films weren't also his best films.
- 8.Apocalypse NowAlso obligatory, also deservedly so.
- 9.The Guest by Phantom PlanetIt gave us "California" and millions of tween girls across the U.S. dreamed of finding their Adam Brody, but this album actually plays well beginning to finish and features Jason Schwartzman on drums.
- 10.RockyA movie that's really hard not to like because, you know, it's awesome. Talia (Coppla) Shire co-stars as Adrian.
- 11.Bored to DeathSchwartzman, Galifiankis, and Danson playing fantastic characters created by Jonathan Ames aka the man who inspired Idler Wheel...
- 12.The OutsidersA classic middle-school novel turned film that introduced thousands of tween girls to Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, and Patrick Swayze.
- 13.RooneyI don't know why they never broke. Blue Slide was such a great song AND they're named after one of the greatest movie villains of all time. (Robert Schwartzman fronts he band)
- 14.Someday by the Strokes music videoDirected by Roman Coppola. To be fair, the song is so good that the video could just be 3 minutes of passing cars and it'd still be great.
- 15.Francis Ford Coppola WineryI don't drink but my girlfriend is always pleased when FFC wine shows up so it makes the list.
- 16.The Bling RingI liked that scene where the kids discuss how hot they all look and then go steal expensive stuff almost as much as the scene where the kids discuss how hot they all look and then go steal expensive stuff.
- 17.Nicolas CageEasily one of the most intriguing people, actors, and Coppolas. At his best he'd top this list, at his worst... Here he is.