Where I Was When...
Add major events and where you were when they happened. Repeats welcome!
- •Michael Jackson's diedAn In n Out burger on the way to Vegas. Spent the majority of the meal trying to figure out if there was anyone more famous than MJ and finally concluded that there was not.
- •Obama was inauguratedFreshman year of college, I ended up standing atop a statue in front of the Boston Library (and subsequently the home page of Boston.com) and then marched with a group of students to the Christian Science Center where we proceeded to swim in the reflecting pool.
- •The planes struck the WTCMy mom woke me up in bed and told me "America is being bombed." I looked up through my skylight, fully expecting to see cartoon missiles flying through the sky. Spent the next few hours watching the news with my 6th grade class, awaiting word that @richardkraft - who was supposed flying East to West - wasn't on one of those planes.
- •Y2K came and wentUp on Mt. Hood with all 3 of my parents and a group of friends, staying in a snowy log cabin. We spent the hours leading up to midnight watching a 6 hour PBS documentary special about Irving Berlin. I had no sense of why everyone was freaking out.
- •1989 Earthquake in San FranciscoI was at after school care. I had just finished ballet class and one of the older girls taught me how to braid. I wanted to show my teacher so bad I snuck into the art closet to steal string. suddenly he grabbed me and threw me under a table. I thought I was in trouble for the break in. I never felt the earth shake. My mom was trapped in a building because a piece of ceiling the size of a car fell in her beauty salon. I saw it later and I still have nightmares about it, although not earthquakes.Suggested by @dena
- •The Challenger space shuttle explodedWatching it in person, outside with my fifth grade class in Tampa. Space shuttle launches were always a classroom event in Florida and it was custom to start watching the launch on TV and then run outside to spot it in the air as soon as it was high enough. There was obviously special buzz around the Challenger because of the national competition to find a teacher to send into space; I clearly remember teachers in our school crying.Suggested by @sloan
- •The planes struck the WTC: In Brooklyn walking our dogs in Prospect Park. Heard explosions and jokingly said NJ is blowing up. When we returned home we knew something major had happened. We went to our roof where we have line of sight to the towers and watched as they burned and then disappeared in a cloud of black smoke, as ashes blew toward usSuggested by @fats
- •Steve Jobs diedMajor for me at least? At Little Big's in Houston, TX on a work trip. I was alone so I saw it on Twitter (on my iPhone) and had no one to exclaim to.Suggested by @sam
- •On the morning of September 11, 2001, I was in a Manhattan hotel , awaiting a call from Mayor Giuliani's office about the time and place of our interview. We had started working on his memoir a day earlier with a long and rambling conversation about many things, including his concern about a terrorist attack in the city.Suggested by @BillNovak
- •Obama was electedDrunk, surrounded by friends in the Christian Science Center in Boston. One detail sticks out: John Kerry drove by in a Lincoln Towncar, rolled down the window, and said "Remember kids, Barak Obama would want you to keep safe." Very surreal nightSuggested by @Waz
- •Y2K Came & WentI was at a Barenaked Ladies concert in Buffalo, NY with the girl I was dating at the time & it was awesome.Suggested by @WhelmedDad
- •OJ verdict was readIn high school English class, wrought with anxietySuggested by @dave
- •Kurt Cobain diedI was at sizzler with my mother. I called a friend on a pay phone to commiserate and then went back to eat. My cheese toast was soggy and limp so I asked them for another. My new slice of cheese toast was better and yet still unfulfilling.Suggested by @gilbaron
- •2011 London RiotsI was working in London during the 2011 London riots. I was sent home early from work because it had been tweeted out that our office park was the next riot target. I got off the train to go home and walked straight into a massive riot going on in Clapham Junction. I watched as they burned down my favorite place to get take-away chicken.Suggested by @Caroline