WHAT I LEARNED BEING A CHEF AT AN ORGANIC RESTAURANT IN BROOKLYN
I used to be one of the above.
- •No One Seems to Think About How Weird Eggs AreSome people do, I guess, but I'm usually shocked when otherwise fully functional-looking, even slick-looking, even impeccably fashionable and clean people would ask to put eggs in their mouths. Not that I don't love eating eggs.
- •If You Serve Spaghetti on Mexican Night, It's Best to Use a Lot of SalsaAnd most people do prefer the red kind to the verde. In this situation, at least.
- •You Sell More Clams than Usual When the Waitstaff Dresses Up Like ClamsIncludes chowder. Leave the "Clams Three Ways" off the menu, though, gets dicey, however popular.
- •Only One Nice Lady Thinks It's Funny When You Call Them "Vegan Wings" on Account of the Poor Chicken's DietDidn't get her name.
- •1-Minute Aioli Is Easy but You Really Have to Believe in ItTruly, I would bust out huge batches of 1-Minute mayo- also known as Cheatin' Aioli- in the food processor, until one day I asked myself, "why is this working, shouldn't it not be so easy?" And then I couldn't ever really get it to work again.
- •Even After a 3-Day Slow Roast, Salt and Citrus Rub, Plenty of Basting, and a Rich Masala Gravy, You Can't Eat Wood😔
- •Giorgio Dempsey Is Allergic to ShellfishNice man who lived down the street. Respiratory constriction, hives, generalized itch.
- •Not Everyone Knows What the Matches in the Bathroom Are ForYou can't cook pee-pee, my man!