12 Reasons Why You Should See the Martian This Weekend
Yes, I am biased. But I am also correct.
- 1.Matt DamonPerfect portrayal of Mark Watney. He stays true to the character's intelligence and humor, and I can't think of many other actors who could command your attention to the same extent when they're alone on screen for so long.
- 2.Director Ridley ScottA true return to form for him.
- 3.Chiwetel EjioforAs Vincent Kapoor, Director of Mars Missions. Holding down the fort at home, keeping the peace, and doing all he can to save Mark's life. His scenes with Jeff Daniels and Kristen Wiig are especially compelling.
- 4.Jeff DanielsAs Teddy Sanders, Director of NASA. Forced to make the toughest - and oftentimes unpopular - decisions in the quest to save Watney. Daniels channels his Will McAvoy best.
- 5.Jessica ChastainAs Commander Melissa Lewis of the Hermes. Feels ultimately responsible for leaving Watney behind on Mars and willing to do whatever it takes to fix it. She rocks the "female badass in a position of power" role.
- 6.Michael PeñaAs Rick Martinez, pilot of the Hermes. Peña's best role to date, his banter with Matt is perfection.
- 7.Author Andy WeirHe wrote a brilliant, beloved book and remains the most humble guy I've ever met. He drinks Diet Coke like a fiend, wears a page boy cap every single day and at TIFF, he spontaneously sat down at a piano and played the Peanuts theme while Snoopy danced next to him. He's just the type of guy you want good things to happen to.
- 8.Screenwriter Drew GoddardHe wrote probably the closest-to-perfect script I've ever read. He made CABIN IN THE WOODS. That is all.
- 9.Producers Simon Kinberg and Aditya SoodLike the sweeping spectacle of the X-MEN movies? Excited for STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS? Dug the humor in the DEADPOOL trailer? Yeah, me too.
- 10.Spot-on use of 3DYou won't regret paying an extra couple bucks to see it in Real D, I promise.
- 11.An epic, poignant, heartfelt, suspenseful, thrilling, funny, touching story about the resilience of one human being and the potential of humanity.
- 12.Oh and my name is in the credits.If you've already seen KATY PERRY: PART OF ME 3D, then you've already seen my name in an end crawl, so feel free to skip this movie.