What I Would Tell My Teenage Self
Inspired by @nikkilounoel
- •You will never be beautiful, feminine, and Latina in the exact same way that your mother is beautiful, feminine, and Latina....
- •... And despite what you think, that is not important.IT IS NOT IMPORTANT.
- •You can be loud and brash and not-delicate, and know nothing about hair or make-up.You can also dress up and do your hair. You can do whatever you want.
- •You are still woman enough. If you feel within you that you are a woman, you will always be woman enough.
- •You are beautiful, too.You don't have to look like your mother.
- •You are a Latina, too.You don't have to look like your mother.
- •Being desirable does not somehow make you less intelligent.They're not mutually exclusive. Don't be afraid. And don't listen to high school boys.
- •Being intelligent is not always the most important thing in every situation.Don't get me wrong. I don't want you to put away your books on the Romanovs or stop hanging out at the library. Just remember not to put all your eggs in one basket. It leads to bias.
- •Being the most intelligent and the most educated does not make someone a better person.A jackass with a medical degree is still a jackass. A person can be brilliant, and educated, and treat you like crap. Remember this for later. Write it in your journal. Don't forget.
- •All of the boys who reject you really are idiots.No, really. Even the med students.
- •Don't give up your dreams just because your mother says they're not safe.
- •Your mother's advice is influenced by her own anxiety. She's not always right about everything.Don't be afraid of her disapproval! Sometimes you are right and she is wrong! Just because she is upset, it doesn't mean you're wrong!
- •Your mother will not die if you upset her too much.I know how sick she is. She is very sick. I know. But this fear you've been carrying around since childhood? It is hurting you more than it is helping her.
- •The things that you love, no matter how ridiculous or irrational they seem, are just as important as the things that seem most practical.You know what I'm talking about. Do it, girl. Look stupid. Be wrong. Just don't be afraid.
- •Bad things are going to happen to you, that you cannot control. You are going to feel sad and afraid. But the world is not going to end.
- •Nothing will be the same, but it will still be good.
- •You will not always be the same, but you will still be yourself.And she's worth it. No matter what.
- •And don't order that second cocktail at your best friend's bachelorette party.Just trust me on this one. 😉