THINGS YOU LEARN AFTER BEING IN HOSPITAL ALL NIGHT WITH YOUR BABY
- •That there's nothing more important to anyone than the health of an infant. No other condition, no other patient matters as much. They give up their place in the queue themselves. Without hesitation.
- •That there's nothing in the world as reassuring as medical expertise.
- •That the words 'thank you' don't even come close.
- •That breakfast from a hospital vending machine can be a party.
- •That the drive home reminds you you've let yourself forget how beautiful dawn is.
- •That it seems paradoxical that it takes a (potentially) shitty thing to make us appreciate the good stuff. But Rumi had it right: the wound is where the light goes in.