Reasons I can't write another children's book and the reasons those reasons are crap
Needed a pep talk to get back to some goals I've had for a while. Did it myself. And on li.st, no less.
- •I don't have time!Seriously? You don't have 5 minutes? You won't write a book in 5 minutes. You might not even come up with a good sentence in 5 minutes. But 5 minutes every day can get you started - and most importantly, it's doable! You'll probably find that more often than not, 5 turns into 10, turning into 20. But commit to 5. Because really, that's hardly a commitment. It's like Commitment Light. And even that may be overstating it. It's like fat-free, sugar-free, gluten-free Commitment. Just do it already.
- •What if I can't think of anything clever?Good point. That blank page in front of you is extremely clever and would be hard to beat. Come on. Something is better than nothing. And I'll bet if you come up with 100 ideas, one is bound to be clever. I'm no mathematician, but it seems like the odds are in your favor, the more you do it.
- •It's just that I want it to be over the top awesome. I don't know how to create something that will live up to that.OK, well, you know how; you've created something you were proud of before, even if your sense of its awesomeness has changed (Damn you, negative Amazon review!!). But let's look at the math. (If I give up writing, maybe I'll give the mathematics thing a try.) Your chances of creating something that is over the top awesome are 0.00% if you don't write anything. And that's not rounding down. So if you write, even if it mostly sucks, your odds creep up... to some number above 0%.
- •Maybe the first book idea was a flukeOr it wasn't. You've wanted to write books since the second grade. At age 37, you finally did. Pretty sure that's just something that was a long time coming. The opposite of a fluke.
- •What if I can't find an amazing illustrator who gets exactly what I hope to do and who can bring the words to life and make the book better than I ever thought it could be?HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's not an actual worry. Because @doodler19 .