Two years ago today...
I had the opportunity of a lifetime in #southafrica
- •I left for an adventure in South AfricaDrove myself 2 hours to the airport at 2 AM for my 6 AM flight.
- •I spent the entire month of August 2014 in the Cape Town area on a pharmacy rotation
- •We worked 2 weeks with a care organization who did home visits.Nearly all the women we worked withhad no medical training. The head of the that branch was a nurse who had worked in a few hospitals in the area.
- •The second half of the month we worked in a hospital in one of the townships in the wards.We did our best to help the doctors ensure that patients had the best, safest, and most appropriate medications.
- •Patient caseWe also spent time in the ED. One day we had a woman who came in with some chest pain. Still able to talk (though only a couple of people spoke the same language) and she seemed stable so she got pushed to the bottom of the list. When the docs finally got to her, one did an ultrasound of her chest and found a blood clot in her heart! So we mixed the clot busting drugs and gave them. It was incredible to see!
- •Between our days at work, we did a lot of touristy activities.
- •Hiked Table MountainIt was a torturous hike. I'm not in shape.
- •Kirstenbosch Botanical GardensIt was rainy but beautiful.
- •Robben IslandFunny story. You have to take a ferry to the island. It was very cloudy and windy that day. I don't do well with boats as it is. About 20 minutes into our ride (which was only supposed to take 20 minutes) I puked my guts out. It was AWFUL! Now hilarious...
- •Wine and beer tastingsThere were many local wineries and breweries near where we stayed. Sunday morning tastings - tipsy by noon. It was a great day.
- •Ice cream at The CreameryI read about this ice cream place online - listed as one of the best in the world so naturally we had to check it out. It was dang good ice cream.
- •AquariumParts were under construction which was disappointing. But we made it fun.
- •Bungee jumpingWorlds highest bungee bridge. It was incredible.
- •SafariThough we didn't get to see the hippos we did see elephants, lions, cheetahs, springbok, giraffes, zebra, and several others. It was amazing!
- •There for a entire monthOur last morning, the owner of the bed and breakfast where we stayed took us to a gorgeous scenic overlook. It was incredible.
- •My month in South Africa was an experience of a lifetimeIt is a time I will cherish forever. I learned so much about their culture, their life, about myself, and about pharmacy practice. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to go. I hope I was able to have even just a fraction of the impact on someone there as they all had on me.