BEAUTIFUL PLACES TO PHOTOGRAPH IN MISSISSIPPI
On my blog - http://www.piercedwonderings.com I run a semi-regular series called See Mississippi that highlights places in Mississippi that are filled with unexpected beauty
- •Old Biloxi City Cemetery.This is actually on my list to hit up this weekend. With all the fog we have had lately, I think there could be some awesome shots to be taken here - a little spooky, a little creepy, a little dark. The cemetery itself reminds me a little bit of the ones you might find in New Orleans.
- •The CrossroadsThe legend is that Robert Johnson sold his soul to the Devil at the Crossroads in order to be a better guitar player. While you are there, you can snap photos of the gorgeous Mississippi Delta - fields & fields of cotton, old buildings, creeks, streams.
- •BeauvoirThe last home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, which includes the home, the Presidential library, and a cemetery for confederate soldiers and their families. If you're lucky, you may even see the small menagerie of animals that are kept to maintain the cemetery grounds.
- •Gulf Coast LighthousesWe have three lighthouses here along the Coast - the Round Island lighthouse in Pascagoula, the Biloxi lighthouse in the middle of Highway 90, and the replica of the Ship Island lighthouse in Gulfport's Jones Park.
- •Crosby ArboretumLocated in Picayune, MS the arboretum is an outdoor classroom dedicated to the preservation of the natural Gulf Coast landscape. There are a plethora of trails available to you and a variety of exhibits designed to showcase natural flora and fauna of the region.
- •The Gypsy Queen's GraveLocated in Meridian, MS the Gypsy Queen's grave is in Rose Hill Cemetery. Kelly Mitchell died giving birth to a child in 1915 and some 20,000 people came to Meridian to attend her funeral. Take some photos and leave an offering for the late queen.
- •Lake MarsI don't know why it's called Lake Mars other than there is a street in a nearby subdivision beating the name but it's a gorgeous, out-of-the-way location to capture sunsets and sunrises along the water in Ocean Springs.
- •The All-American Rose GardenLocated at USM, the All American Rose Garden is a beautiful garden with 32 beds of various varieties of roses. While there are beds throughout the campus, the showstopper is at the front entrance.
- •Rowan OakRowan Oak is the home of William Faulkner and is located in Oxford, Mississippi, not far from the Square, another picturesque location in Mississippi.
- •The Edora Welty House and GardensThe home and gardens of one of Mississippi's most famous daughters - Edora Welty - is located in Jackson, near Belhaven University. Ms Welty was an avid gardener so be sure to tour the gardens.