WHAT I LEARNED FROM FANNIE DOOLIE THAT WAS NOT THE ACTUAL LESSON
Fannie Doolie was a sketch from the PBS show Zoom. If you had enough cable that you had options of what to watch after school, you probably missed this gem of educational programming.
- •Fannie Doolie was a word game, where the Zoom kids would give you something Fannie Doolie likes, and something she didn't like, and you were supposed to figure out why she liked things but not other things (that were basically the same thing) and write in your own examples.
- •Fannie Doolie LOVES books, but HATES reading. Why do you think that is?
- •Fannie Doolie LOVES to cook, but HATES baking. Why do you think that is?
- •They never said the answer in the show - they just did the segment and moved on. The answer was Fannie Doolie likes things that have double letters.High maintenance little bitch.
- •That's fine, but what I really got out of it was that some people like things, and hate other things that are basically the same thing for weird and arbitrary reasons, and we can just move on.
- •For example, my coworker Andrea HATES mayonnaise (because it's "basically like putting lard on a sandwich" and she would prefer a dry sandwich without mayonnaise instead of one with mayonnaise put on just to moisten the bread, also she thinks the word "moist" is gross, lol she's so original), but LOVES aioli! Why do you think that is?Hint: there is not a real, based-in-fact reason. She is just a little crazy, and we can just accept this and move on. Also for reference: aioli is literally just mayonnaise with garlic added. That is the whole difference.
- •Andrea LOVES M&Ms, but HATES blue M&Ms. Why do you think that is?"Blue is not a natural color for food." I just accept it and move on. No need to explain to her how crazy she's being - I'll just let the Zoom kids show how to make Ants on a Log and do a variation of the baking soda/vinegar volcano.