TOP 15 IN 2015 - RIAA GOLD & PLATINUM AWARDS EDITION
What were some of our greatest moments in 2015? We look back on a year celebrating incredible music and the artists that created it with our historic Gold & Platinum program. Enjoy!
- •Fifth Harmony Double Platinum SurpriseIn August, Fifth Harmony visited RIAA HQ for a special plaque presentation and were surprised to find out that they earned their first double-Platinum certification for “Worth It (feat. Kid Ink).” The single has since gone 3x multi-Platinum and is one of only 22 songs released in 2015 that is RIAA multi-Platinum certified. Want to see the girls’ amazing reaction? Visit RIAA’s Instagram, Instagram.com/riaa_awards, for more!
- •Meghan Trainor's #Title AchievementsIn May, RIAA presented Meghan Trainor with a plaque for her three RIAA certified singles: “All About That Bass” (6x multi-Platinum), “Lips Are Movin’ (2x multi-Platinum), and “Dear Future Husband” (Gold). Since then, she’s certified two more singles—“Title” and “Like I’m Gonna Lose You” feat. John Legend—as well as her album Title. She now has a total of 15.5 million certified digital song units. It may be time for another plaque!
- •Carrie Underwood's Career CelebratedIn August, Carrie Underwood made news as she was honored as RIAA’s highest certified country artist for digital singles with 29 million certified units! To boot, her new “Greatest Hits: Decade #1” album is now one of six Platinum albums released in the past year, and the only country genre Platinum of the six! Here’s to another year of Carrie’s great country music in 2016!
- •J Balvin Recibió Dos DiamantesIn October, J Balvin earned the first ever Digital Diamond award for RIAA’s Latin Gold & Platinum Program! And not only did he take home one Diamond award, but two! This was a huge milestone not just for J Balvin but also the RIAA Gold & Platinum Program. Check out RIAA’s Flipagram, flipagram.com/riaa.goldandplatinum, celebrating Balvin’s historic achievement!
- •Imagine Dragons' RIAA DiamondIn July, RIAA CEO Cary Sherman presented Imagine Dragons with a Digital Diamond award for their single, “Radioactive.” The band has two more certified singles—“Demons” and “It’s Time”—plus two certified albums—Smoke + Mirrors and Night Vision. Curious what that adds up to? Visit the RIAA Gold & Platinum database at riaa.com to check out their tally.
- •Rihanna's 100 Mill MilestoneIn July, Rihanna became the first and only artist to cross the 100 Million threshold for digital single awards in RIAA Gold & Platinum Program history! In addition to her impressive single stats, all seven of her studio albums are RIAA certified. Check back at the end of 2016 to see how Anti adds to her already impressive RIAA standing!
- •Garth Brooks' Gold & Platinum HonorIn January, RIAA recognized Garth Brooks for a number of achievements. Not only is he the 2nd highest certified artist in Gold & Platinum history, but his latest and 10th studio album, Man Against the Machine, is Platinum, making his career RIAA tally 135 million album certifications. All hail the king of country!
- •Ed Sheeran's Early ChristmasIn December, Ed Sheeran received a plaque from the RIAA commemorating his double-Platinum certification for X. The album is Ed’s first multi-Platinum and one of only four albums released since 2014 to achieve RIAA multi-Platinum status.
- •Dustin Lynch Takes RIAA HQIn July, Dustin Lynch visited RIAA HQ for a special “Listen & Learn” event with RIAA CEO Cary Sherman and Broken Bow Music Records exec Lee Adams. After answering a few questions about today’s recording industry and his career, Lynch performed a few songs and was surprised with a plaque commemorating his FIRST Platinum single, “Where It’s At.” Check out Dustin’s awesome surprise and reaction, on RIAA’s YouTube page.
- •Taylor Swift's #1989 Heavy MetalIn June, 1989 was certified 5x multi-Platinum, making it the second highest certified album of 2015. An impressive album in its own right, 7 of the 13 tracks off the album have also been certified, all within a year of its release. Taylor is RIAA’s second most certified single artist ever, having achieved 96.5 million song certs!
- •Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Reach 10 MillionIn November, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis reached Diamond status, earning a Digital Diamond award for their single “Thrift Shop.” They were one of four artists who earned Diamond for a song in 2015. See our fun Flipagram, flipagram.com/riaa.goldandplatinum, celebrating this song and its Diamond heights here.
- •Lady Gaga's Second Diamond AwardIn November, Lady Gaga earned her second Digital Diamond award for “Poker Face.” She is one of only three artists to have two, and she was the first female to earn a Digital Diamond Award in 2013 for “Bad Romance.” Check out the RIAA Top Tallies list for more stats on Gaga!
- •Michael Jackson's #Thriller LegacyIn December, Michael Jackson’s Thriller was certified 30x multi-Platinum. At this incredible level, the album is the highest certified in RIAA history – an honor most fitting for the King of Pop.
- •Adele's Record Breaking SongIn December, Adele made waves when her single “Hello” was certified 4x multi-Platinum! The lead single of her latest album, 25, had only been out for a month, making it the fastest single to hit four million certifications in RIAA Digital program history!
- •Eminem's Double Diamond AchievementIn July, RIAA CEO Cary Sherman presented Eminem with 2 Diamond awards for hit songs “Not Afraid” and “Love the Way You Lie” (feat. Rihanna), making the “Rap God” the first artist in RIAA Gold & Platinum Program history to earn two Digital Diamond Awards. DYK Eminem has two additional Diamond awards? Learn more at the new riaa.com.