HOW TO TRY AND BE A GOOD ALLY
There have been so many great lists by some amazing people about their lived experiences and frustrations with white, cis, heteronormative, neurotypical, abled bodied, thin and class privileges. We need to be better at supporting anyone who faces systemic oppression.
- •LISTENDon't talk over anyone who is explaining their lived experience, you have no idea what it's like, so don't think that you're the authority on it.
- •Call people out when they're saying/doing something offensive.It's not just oppressed people's job to call offensive shit out.
- •Don't be "the white savior"PoC also don't need us to fight their battles for them. Try and read the situation and jump in where needed.
- •Don't do it for recognition.Do it because something is wrong, not for a fucking cookie.
- •Know your privilegePrivilege: a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people. Being white, cis, heteronormative, neurotypical, abled bodied, thin and/or middle class are all privilege.
- •Do your own homeworkIt's not up to oppressed people to do the work for you, it's up to you to find reputable sources to inform yourself. Google that shit.
- •Being an ally is a verb not a nounIt's not enough to say your an ally its your actions that are going to show the world your intent.
- •Get uncomfortableFacing your privileges is uncomfortable but not as uncomfortable as being shot for being black or beaten because you're trans. Yes it may hurt your feelings for a bit to really take a look at how privilege works in your favor, but if you can't do that then you won't be a good ally.
- •ApologizeWe all fuck up and when we do you need to apologize and no, sorry not sorry shit. Make a sincere apology not a conditional one, that means an apology without any buts or justs.
- •Be supportiveBeing supportive means recognizing and uplifting oppressed voices.
- •Don't talk for or overYou do want to bring attention to injustices but not the expense or exclusion of personal experiences.
- •Don't partake in ally theater